The cooler season brings many changes to the garden. Crops from the Brassica family of plants truly thrive this time of year including Broccoli, Cabbage, and the über nutritious star of this recipe: Kale!
Prep time: 20min
*1/4 cup Pine Nuts (can sub chopped Cashews or Walnuts)
*1 pound fresh Kale from the garden (about 2-3 bunches) rinsed and patted dry
*1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
*3 Tbsp olive oil
*1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (optional)
*1 Tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
*1 teaspoon salt
*1/2 teaspoon pepper
*1/4 cup Currants or any sweet or tart dried fruit
*1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, packed
1. Dry toast the pine nuts in a skillet on low heat, and keep them moving with a spatula until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Remove the tough spine of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
3. Whisk the balsamic, olive oil, rice vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl
4. Now get down and dirty by pouring the vinagrette over the kale and hand massage the mix, and that’s the magic touch!
5. Let the salad marinade for 30min or more, longer is even better. This will soften the normally tough kale.
6. Add the pine nuts, currants and top with parmesan and voila! We have a deliciously nutritious salad to enjoy with friends and family this Fall season.